Here I list more. I will check them once in a while to make sure they are still available.
- Ask Jeeves
- Best of the Web
- Craigslist is is a text-based classified advertisements website with sections devoted to jobs, housing, personals, for sale, items wanted, services, community, gigs, résumés, and discussion forums.
- Dogpile is a metasearch engine that fetches results from Google and Yahoo search engines.
- KartOO assists users in finding the most appropriate website for a given query without delay.
- Search.com – meta-search search engine
- Yippy is a family friendly web portal and safe search engine for kids. It’s geared towards K-12 users, filtering out explicit and inappropriate material to keep searches clean and informative.
- ZapMeta is a meta-search engine, a search tool that provide users the ability of simultaneously search multiple search engines under one interface.
Deep web search:
- WolframAlpha introduces a fundamentally new way to get knowledge and answers — not by searching the web, but by doing dynamic computations based on a vast collection of built-in data, algorithms, and methods.
- AddALL searches used and out of print books
- Audible.co.uk provides digital audiobooks, including literary classics, new releases & fully unabridged performances.
- Authorama Public Domain Books
- Bartleby.com Great Books Online
- British Library
- FreeComputerBooks.com – Free Computer, Mathematics, Technical Books.
- FreeTechBooks – free online computer science, engineering and programming books, textbooks and lecture notes.
- ingentaconnect is a website that hosts scholarly books and journals from a range of different publishers.
- Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.
- Internet Sacred Text Archive – freely available archive of online books about religion, mythology, folklore and the esoteric on the Internet.
- JustFreeBooks searches 700 web sites and help you find all sorts of free books.
- Librivox – Free public domain audiobooks
- Manybooks – Over 33,000 Free eBooks are available.
- Project Gutenberg offers over 56,000 free eBooks
- Read free books online from Questia’s library
- ReadPrint – thousands of free online books
- Used Book Search
Journals & Articles search:
- AIS eLibrary is a central repository for research papers and journal articles relevant to the information systems academic community.
- BASE is one of the world’s most voluminous search engines especially for academic open access web resources. BASE is operated by Bielefeld University Library.
- JournalTOCs makes it easy for academics, researchers, students and anyone else to keep up-to-date with newly published scholarly material by enabling them to find, display, store, combine and reuse thousands of journal tables of contents from multiple publishers.
- JSTOR is a not–for–profit service that helps scholars, researchers, and students discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content in a trusted digital archive of over one thousand academic journals and other scholarly content.
- MagPortal provides articles search from many freely accessible magazines.
- ScienceDirect supports books and journal articles search, owned by Elsevier.
- the Directory of Open Access Journals is to increase the visibility and ease of use of open access scientific and scholarly journals thereby promoting their increased usage and impact. The Directory aims to be comprehensive and cover all open access scientific and scholarly journals that use a quality control system to guarantee the content.
- The UK Student Academic Directory presents a Knowledge base of articles which was developed specifically for STUDENTS.
Multiple Language literature search:
- The LiTgloss is a collection of texts written in languages other than English. The texts are of literary, cultural, or historical interest to speakers of English, and likely to be better appreciated if read in the original language.
Dissertations & Theses search:
- eThOS – British Library electronic theses online service
- DART-Europe E-theses Portal
- Theses Collection Wales from the The National Library of Wales
- COMS Conference directory
- Conference Alerts brings together two groups of people – conference organizers, and academics who need to stay informed about conferences.
- IEEE Conferences and Events search
Blogs & posts search:
- A list of blog search engines provided by Ari Paparo
- Meltwater IceRocket
- Twingly Blog Search
- Freerange stock
- ImageNet is an ongoing-growth image database organised according to the WordNet hierarchy. This resource was explained by prof Fei Fei Li in a great speech at TEDTalks.
Companies & people search:
- 192.com tells you more about people, businesses & places in the UK than any other directory.
- CrunchBase is the free database of technology companies, people, and investors that anyone can edit.
- intelius provides comprehensive email address search for the U.S.
- LinkedIn people search – LinkedIn worldwide network of professionals can be searched.
- NetTrace – be careful of putting your personal information on the web. It is searchable and visible.
- Pipl‘s query-engine helps you find deep web pages that cannot be found on regular search engines.
- Yell allows you find local business.
- ZabaSearch free people search for the U.S.
Search free content:
- CC search – search for free images, music, media content licensed under the Creative Commons licenses.
Other lists of search engines:
- DiRT wiki provides a list of openly-available tools for finding research materials.