Writeboard is completely free. It lets you neatly organize to-do lists, notes, photos, files, and writeboards online. It is useful when you are collaborating with multiple people on a writeboard. Now you can see what others have changed or added to their versions of the writeboard.
Computer Assisted/Aided Qualitative Data AnalysiS (CAQDAS) is the use of computer software to aid qualitative research such as transcription analysis, coding and text interpretation, recursive abstraction, content analysis, discourse analysis, grounded theory methodology, etc.
Tools – analyse textual data:
- AnSWR is a software system for coordinating and conducting large-scale, team-based analysis projects that integrate qualitative and quantitative techniques.
- ANTHROPAC‘s analytical tools include techniques that are unique to Anthropology, such as consensus analysis, as well as standard multivariate tools such as multiple regression, factor analysis, cluster analysis, multidimensional scaling and correspondence analysis. In addition, the program provides a wide variety of data manipulation and transformation tools, plus a full-featured matrix algebra language.
- ATLAS.ti helps researchers uncover and systematically analyze complex phenomena hidden in text and multimedia data. The program provides tools that let the user locate, code, and annotate findings in primary data material, to weigh and evaluate their importance, and to visualize complex relations between them.
- CAT is a free service of the Qualitative Data Analysis Program (QDAP), and hosted by the University Center for Social and Urban Research, at the University of Pittsburgh, and QDAP-UMass, in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. CAT was the 2008 winner of the “Best Research Software” award from the organized section on Information Technology & Politics in the American Political Science Association.
- Ethnograph for qualitative research and data analysis, facilitates the management and analysis of text based data such as transcripts of interviews, focus groups, field notes, diaries, meeting minutes, and other documents.
- CDC EZ-Text is a software program developed to assist researchers create, manage, and analyze semi-structured qualitative databases.
- HyperRESEARCH is a software tool designed for qualitative analysis. The free edition is suitable for teaching the basics of qualitative research, without requiring students to purchase the full package. You can also use the Free Limited Edition to explore HyperRESEARCH’s capabilities.
- HyperTRANSCRIBE is ResearchWare’s software product for transcribing audio and video files. It lets you open and play most popular audio and video formats, and provides both graphical and keyboard control to play, pause, and loop playback so your hands never have to leave the keyboard.
- MAXQDA supports all individuals performing qualitative data analysis and helps to systematically evaluate and interpret texts. It is also a powerful tool for developing theories and testing the theoretical conclusions of the analysis. It is used in a wide range of academic and non-academic disciplines, such as in Sociology, Political Science, Psychology, Public Health, Anthropology, Education, Marketing, Economics and Urban Planning.
- Nvivo software supersedes N6 (NUD*IST 6), Non numerical Unstructured Data Indexing Searching and Theorizing software, is a robust and reliable program, appropriate exclusively for qualitative research analysis. It includes the very features of N6 and much more – including the ability to work with PDFs, surveys, photos, video and audio files. NVivo 9 also allows you to open and work with projects you’ve developed in N6.
- Online QDA is a set of learning materials which address common issues of undertaking qualitative data analysis (QDA) and beginning to use Computer Assisted Qualitative Data AnalysiS (CAQDAS) packages.
- Porphyry is a desktop client for qualitative analysis of images and qualitative analysis of texts.
- QDA Miner is an easy-to-use qualitative data analysis software package for coding textual data, annotating, retrieving and reviewing coded data and documents. The program can manage complex projects involving large numbers of documents combined with numerical and categorical information.
- Qualrus is a qualitative data analysis tool distinguished by its quick learning curve, unparalleled coding efficiency and flexible scripting language. It is used to make sense of large amounts of unstructured data in any format.
- TAMS stands for Text Analysis Markup System. It is a convention for identifying themes in texts (web pages, interviews, field notes). It was designed for use in ethnographic and discourse research.
- Weft QDA is an easy-to-use tool to assist in the analysis of textual data such as interview transcripts, written texts and fieldnotes. It includes a number of fairly standard CAQDAS feature.
Tools – analyse complicate images, audio data:
- Ethno is an on-line Java program that helps you analyze sequential events. Prerequisite analysis produces a diagram showing how some events are necessary for other events, and how abstract events are represented in concrete happenings.
- Kwalitan is a program that takes care of an efficient storage of the data and offers several features to analyse the qualitative material, like coding, retrieving, categorisation of codes, overviews of codes or words in the text, keywords in context and writing memos. With the help of Kwalitan you can analyse text, pictures, audio fragments and video fragments.
- Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count (LIWC) is a text analysis software program designed by James W. Pennebaker, Roger J. Booth, and Martha E. Francis. LIWC calculates the degree to which people use different categories of words across a wide array of texts, including emails, speeches, poems, or transcribed daily speech.
- NovoSpark Visualizer is an advanced, powerful and feature rich visualization program that enables qualitative analysis of multi-dimensional data on a graphical image. The product comes with a variety of image viewing options that helps you get the most representative view of your data.
- Transana is software for professional researchers who want to analyze digital video or audio data.
Storyspace is a hypertext writing environment that is especially well suited to large, complex, and challenging hypertexts. Storyspace focuses on the process of writing, making it easy and pleasant to link, revise, and reorganize.
TextPad is an award winning text editor for Windows.