April 18, 2013
audio_apps, LMS, online_skills, web2.0
I come across this source “50 Education Technology Tools You Can Start Using Today“.
Although I have used applications like those to some extent, there are 40% tools I didn’t know.
- Animoto – an online video maker that turns your photos, video clips and music into video in minutes.
- Educreations – a global community that people can create and share video lessons online.
- FlipSnack – allows people to turn PDF files into amazing interactive books.
- GCFLearnFree.org® – a free online learning resources for anyone who wants to improve the technology, literacy and math skills needed to be successful in both work and life.
- GoAnimate – allows people to create animated videos and share with others.
- LiveBinders – a bookmarking tool installed on browser tool bar. It allows users to add web pages directly into one of the binders or a new binder in their account by clicking on the “LiveBinder It” link.
- Poll Everywhere – is live real time audience response voting with SMS, laptop, or twitter. It is free for audiences of 40 people or less.
- popplet – a collaborative brainstorming tool. It allows users to visualize ideas.
- Socrative – a smart student response system that empowers teachers by engaging their classrooms with a series of educational exercises and games.
- Smore – allows people to design beautiful online flyers and publish instantly.
- Thinkfinity – is the Verizon Foundation’s free online professional learning community, providing access to over 60,000 educators and experts in curriculum enhancement, along with thousands of award-winning digital resources for K-12 — aligned to state standards and the common core.
- Weebly – a easy tool to help people create a free website and a free blog.
- Wix – a free website builder.
Personally I feel many these applications are not for Higher Education specifically.
- Blabberize – a free web 2.0 tool that allows people to quickly create talking photos. Simply upload a photo, select a part of the photo where you want it speak, and record your audio. Instantly, Blabberize will compile those elements together and you’ll get a talking characters.
- ClassDojo – a classroom tool that helps teachers improve behavior in their classrooms quickly and easily. It also captures and generates data on behavior that teachers can share with parents and administrators.
- Edmodo – a social learning platform for teachers, students, and parents. By looking at the demo, it pretty much likes Blackboard.
- i-SAFE – is a blended compliance enterprise solution that combines the power of technology, traditional curriculum and the influence of social media to educate and empower students through cutting-edge e-Safety education platforms.
September 29, 2011
I come across two websites that provide useful teaching and learning resources:
September 21, 2011
Ask and Answers search engines are more than just finding an answer to the question you care. Actually, knowledge sharing happens.
- Aardvark was conceived as the first Social Search engine: a way to find people, not web pages, that have specific information. In February 2010 Aardvark was acquired by Google, and continues to operate as part of the Google family of products.
- able2know helps to connect people, knowledge and resources.
- Allexperts, created in early 1998, was the very first large-scale question and answer service on the net.
- AOL Answers aims to merge the convenience and efficiency of search with the unlimited value of individual knowledge to get you the best answers to your questions.
- AskDeb is a website where you can ask questions on a wide variety of topics.
- Ask Me Help Desk is an online network of real people and experts from around the world sharing information and knowledge on relevant and specialized topics.
- Ask Reddit helps you find answers through Raddit website, which is a social news website where users can post links to content on the web.
- Answerbag is part of Demand Media, a leading online media company that informs, entertains and connects millions of people every day.
- blekko is a better way to search the web by using slashtags. slashtags search only the sites you want and cut out the spam sites.
- blurtit allows people from all over the world to share their knowledge and ask any question imaginable.
- ChaCha gives free, real-time answers to any question both online at ChaCha.com and through mobile phones by either texting “ChaCha” (242-242) or using one of our mobile apps.
- Fluther directs your question to people who can help.
- FunAdvice is a social network in the US, and staff and volunteers from all around the world help answer questions, solve problems, and assist with the daily operation of the site.
- Help.com is a network of people dedicated to helping you.
- JustAnswer provides customised answers to all kinds of important questions.
- Mahalo is a knowledge sharing service; it helps people quickly find the best information on topics, how to’s and coupons.
- NASA Quest‘s Question and Answer service provides students in K-12 gradeswith the opportunity to ask questions and receive answers that relate to NASA science, math and technology content.
- Quora is a continually improving collection of questions and answers created, edited, and organized by everyone who uses it.
- Trexy is an award-winning social search engine that intersects the search trails people make while searching the web.
- True Knowledge aims to give you direct answers to your questions, just as if you were talking to another human being.
- US Library of Congress: Ask a Librarian allows you email research questions or chat online with a reference librarian.
- WebAnswers is a free question & answer website where you can ask your questions for free and can answer other people’s questions.
August 5, 2011
Springpad is a free application that makes it quick and easy to take notes and save anything you want to remember in one place.
June 23, 2011
WikiMatrix was created by the people of CosmoCode. It aims to help people to choose a good wiki service according to their needs by comparing different wiki products. It’s a powerful idea and may develop to compare blogs, CMS, VLEs, and so on.
June 5, 2011
e-learning, LMS, web2.0
TOPYX is a revolutionary social LMS eLearning 2.0 platform with integrated social learning that enhances the online learning experience.
April 9, 2011
On socialsoftwarematrix.org visitors will get an idea about how social software can be used in a company as well as a comparative overview about social software products.
It compares social software such as Atlassian Confluence 3.0, blueKiwi 2009, IBM Lotus Connections 3.0, Microsoft SharePoint 2010 and MindTouch.